For professional hairstyles, the cutting shears and other tools are the extensions for the haircutter hands. These tools are necessary for haircutters to create flawless styles and deliver exceptional results to their clients.
Haircutting shears matter because the right shears can make the difference between a stylish haircut and a disaster. Cutting shears are a stylist’s best friend, enabling them to showcase their artistic skills and create unique looks.
Professional Cutting Shears
Professional hair cutting shears are essential for any barber or professional to give the desired or precise cutting. The professionals have multiple shears of various sizes and materials, so they can easily change their appearance by providing a clean edge. As they choose, the design must be friendly for your hands so that you can work for an extended time.
Things to Consider While Choosing Shears
Whether you are a professional or a newbie, choosing the right cutting shears means a lot. It depends upon servals factors like:
Determine the Right Size for Your Hand
Choose cutting shears that give comfort to your hands. For a perfect fit, pick lightweight shears that give you an easy grip in your hand. Some buy it by measuring the distance from the thumb’s tip to the middle finger’s tip. This measure gives you an idea about the best hand-fit shears. Too small and big tools give hand fatigue and affect the overall performance.
Choose Right Handle Design
Handle design plays a vital role while cutting. The right handle design gives a more comfortable and stylish look. Symmetrical, offset, and crane are the three most common use designs.
- Symmetrical Grip: Also called opposing grip, it is the perfect design for people who cut with palm-to-palm cutting technique.
- Offset Grip: It has a more extended handle tip than others. This gives more comfort and relaxation to the hand while cutting.
- Crane Grip: This design allows you to open your hand and force your elbow to press shears. It gives a more comfortable and relaxing hand while cutting. It also releases stress from the wrist and shoulders while cutting.
Choose the Blade Type:
Cutting the correct type of blade gives you a more realistic look. Three types of standard blades used in shears are as follows:
- Beveled Edge: The most commonly used blade gives a professional haircut. It required a regular blade sharpened than others. These blades are best for slide and point-to-point cutting at an affordable price.
- Convex Edge: Outside curves give you Sharpe and advanced cutting techniques. It gives you a smooth-cutting option. The blades are standard by professionals for quick cutting.
- Semi-convex Edge: It is a combination of both beveled and convex edge blades. It is sharper and more durable than others. The slightly curved edge gives you more quick and reliable cutting. More popular in professional haircutters than others.
Consider the Material
Haircutting tools are mostly made from stainless steel. Japanese and German steel are two popular types in this field.
- Japanese Steel: Well known for its durability, sharpness, and lightweight design. These steel are so sharp that they require less frequent sharpening.
- German Steel: This steel is heavier and requires regular sharpening. The high weight gives your hand fatigue and stain.
Shears for haircutting can range from affordable to luxurious; it always depends upon your budget. Always choose a tool that fits easily in your hand and gives a more relaxing cut. Remember, investing in luxurious pairs does not increase your performance. It is your skill and experience that grows it.
Types of Hair Cutting Shears
It always needed to be more apparent for the new hairdressers to pick the right shears for their shop and customer cutting. While so many tools are in the market, the most common and reliable use shears are as follows:
Straight Blade Shears
Straight-blade or cutting shears are the most common type used for basic haircuts. They have two sharp, straight-edged blades designed for clean and precise cutting. It is ideal for creating straight lines and blunt cuts.
Thinning shears have teeth or notches on one blade that help remove bulk from the hair. They are used to reduce thickness and add texture to the hair. Thinning shears are crucial for creating layered and feathered looks.
Texturizing shears, called chunking shears, have wider gaps between the teeth for a more pronounced texturing effect. These shears are excellent for adding depth and dimension to the hair. Ideal for creating trendy, textured hairstyles.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
Some people use shears without following the instructions, which makes tools break before their lifespan. The common mistaken you avoid are as follow:
Overusing shears is a common mistake that can lead to dull blades and less effective cutting. Continuous cutting without breaks can cause friction, heat, and wear on the shears. To avoid overuse, hairstylists and barbers should take short breaks during extended cutting sessions and consider having multiple pairs of shears on hand for rotation.
Using Dull Shears
Using dull shears is a cardinal sin in the world of hairstyling. Dull blades can result in uneven and frayed cuts, leading to client dissatisfaction. Dull shears require more force to cut, which can strain the stylist’s hand and wrist, potentially causing discomfort or injury.
Improper Hand Placement
Proper hand placement is crucial for achieving precise and controlled cuts. Holding the shears too far from the pivot point can reduce control, making it challenging to execute delicate techniques. Conversely, having the shears too close to the pivot point may limit the cutting force and result in inefficient cutting.
Cutting Wet vs. Dry Hair
Understanding when to cut wet or dry hair is essential for achieving desired results. Cutting wet hair allows for more even and controlled cutting, making it suitable for precision cuts and blunt styles. Cutting dry hair is preferable for assessing the length and shape of the haircut, as hair shrinks when it dries.
In conclusion, choosing the right shears is essential for achieving the perfect look for your clients.